I spent a quite a bit of time yesterday researching and Tweeting news of California Judge Treu’s ruling that tenure prohibits students from accessing a quality education. I have loads to say about how this is wrong in so many ways, but that’s not the reason for this post.
This post is to urge all levels of Higher Ed faculty and media:
• to see that a decision against tenure affects every level of education.
• to start viewing every attack against teachers as part of a campaign to undermine not only faculty unions at every level but unions and the voice of the middle and lower class
• to connect the dots between neoliberal free market capitalism, Citizen’s United, the rise of our Oligarchy, deregulation, state legislative actions, and access to public funds.
• to perceive that undermining unions allows greater leverage in the so-called free market
• to work together to fight the destruction of what we know best and are supremely capable of delivering
And finally, to get that all of this applies to you, citizen or not, because this is part of the undermining of our participatory democracy.
Thank you for posting this. As someone who has taught both at the K-12, undergraduate and graduate levels, I have seen undermining unions, tenure, workers rights and academic freedom in all of these contexts. We definitely need to join our efforts in fighting privatization, deregulation and corporatization at every level.